Skip to main content

The Blessing

Over the past couple years I've had the privilege to be blessed and I don't mean in just the blessings of day to day life (though that is also true) but more specifically I'm referring to the blessing the pastor will declare at the end of the church service. When I was little didn't take much notice of it until I started thinking about the words. Now different pastors use different blessings but they usually involve God being gracious and granting peace. And these blessings unite us as believers more than you might think.

When I lived in Toronto I was blessed in Punjabi almost every Lord's Day. This first made me think of the amazingness of our God, that He not only understands other languages but also created them. You see, God is not the God who blesses only those who speak English and He will bless you even by using languages you don't understand. In the past six weeks I have been blessed in French, German, Italian, and English. It reminds me that my home church is not the only church there is. I have brothers and sisters who are being blessed in Russian, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, Portuguese, Korean, Norwegian, and Swedish  (not to mention all the languages I can't remember at this moment in time).

Next Sunday, when you are blessed, think about your brothers and sisters in other countries and pray for them. We may not understand each other but we understand that our God blesses us and one day we will be blessed eternally in heaven. Cool eh?

*interesting side note, if you live in North America you are actually among the last of God's children to be blessed because of the time changes.

Comments

  1. hmmm, very interesting reminder. :D Thank you for that. I look forward to thinking about that when I hear the blessing next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Actually, I'm engaged

If you are a Christian you are part of the greatest love story every told to mankind. This story begins with God speaking and it ends with an "amen". It's found between the covers of this book called "The Bible" and if you haven't read it I suggest you begin immediately because you will be amazed at the love recorded there. If you are a Christian you are described as a member of God's church and if you are a member of His church you are also part of the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5). You might say that Israel in the Old Testament was God's church and He made His love story very clear to them as well...though not because they deserved it. Song of Solomon tells the deep, intimate love of Christ for His church and the adoration of the church for Jesus; it's the story of how it should always be . Sadly, in a few books later we read a story that is heart wrenching. Ezekiel 16 is titled "The Lord's Faithless Bride" because this bride, t...

a different perspective

Henry was walking quickly down the sidewalk one sunny summer afternoon. He had finished his chores and so his mother had let him go out to the park to play baseball with his friends before Dad came home for supper. Henry was quite excited about this adventure but he stopped suddenly when he passed the white church and saw his pastor sitting on the steps with a downcast expression on his normally joyous face.      "Hi Pastor Clay," Henry greeted him as he came to a complete stop just on the other side of the white fence.      "Hello Henry," Pastor Clay's answer was sad.      "How are you today?" Henry asked again, hoping all was well so that he could go play.      "Oh alright," Pastor Clay answered.     With all his might Henry wanted to nod and smile and be on his way...but he couldn't. Instead, he lifted the gate's latch and walked over to the step. Once there, he seated himself beside the pa...

The lost art of JOY

In my parents' household there is almost always someone smiling, laughing, or doing something amusing. This isn't to say that we don't have serious talks and ponder deep mysteries, but in general there is a lightness about their home that is both welcoming and relaxing. This, however, is not a popular trend in today's culture.   The gift of joy, being able to laugh, and finding pleasure in normal every day things seems to have been drowned in the bottomless pit of  work, raising a family, school, money, and stress. Life is busy and I think everyone can agree with that, however, I don't believe the business is the problem. The issue really is selfishness. Sometimes it takes effort, a lot of effort, to step outside of your stressed out, busy mindset and listen to what your child is saying and laugh . Yes, that's right, it is OK to laugh at the silly things that happen.   I believe my father is becoming a master at this art of laughter.  When the...