Skip to main content

Gifts; Being Tired

It is 9:49 P.M. I.am.tired. This week has been pretty intense, what with a strange kind of eye infection for the almost-three-year-old, school ending for my emotional-miss-my-teacher-already-and-I-saw-her-thirty-minutes-ago nine and seven year-olds, and to put a cherry on top of this week of crazy; the four-year-old has a black eye.

A.black.eye.

And it's only Thursday. With tomorrow being our first official day of summer holidays who knows what will happen?

I am tired.



My body is tired from getting up early. My brain is tired from listening to small children say the same thing over and over and over again (and when I hide in the bathroom they find me and say the same things over and over and over again only this time it's through the door). And my heart is tired from caring about four little souls who need Jesus and my friend who just found out she has cancer and what about that friend stuck in a bad relationship?

And you know what? I tell God I'm tired. And this is what He says;

"Even youths shall faint and grow weary, and young men shall fall exhausted;" Isaiah 40:30

And I say, yes Lord. You've got that right. I'm exhausted. I need a vacation. I need to just go away and stop caring so much about people and have a break. Yeah, I need a break. And a book. And some tea. And a servant would be nice too. 


And God says. "but they who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

And it's as if God smiles a kind, all-knowing, fatherly smile and says. "I know you're tired. You're human. I made you out of dust. I am God. I know what is best and I love you. Wait on me."

I read those words...and I'm still tired (like I should be in bed...an hour ago). But some how the load does not seem so heavy any more. God understands that I am tired and weary and need a break. But even more than needing a break He knows that I need Him. If I never grew tired or weary would I depend so heavily on God? No. Absolutely not. John Calvin said that our hearts are idol factories and I know my heart is always a high-production-operation in this regard; my biggest idol being myself. If I thought I had no need for God I would not depend on Him at all.

So I am thankful for being weary because it makes His sufficiency shine all the brighter.

And it also amazes me that often, when I feel like my fuel is low and I'm on the brink, He provides for me a time of rest. In His providence I have next week off work. And while my schedule is quickly filling up He has also left me time to relax and be with Him. To wait on Him. To renew my strength.

For the weariness and refreshing I am thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I