Skip to main content

Grief

 Grief is a strange beast. Sometimes it lies sleeping in the sun like a large cat, content to leave you alone, and sometimes it springs itself on you from out of nowhere, leaving you no time to recover before the tears or anger take over and you're lost, swallowed whole by the tabby that turned out to be a lion. You can go about your life on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with a spring in your step and then wake up on Friday overcome by sadness. Nothing has objectively changed, the grief that lives inside of you has simply decided to wake up, stretch, and come out. 

I say all that in order to let you know that if you have these feelings, you are not alone. 

Just before Christmas I encountered a sleepless night. Finally, at 3:30am I got up, made a cup of tea, and sat on the rug in my living room to talk to God. I told Him all of it. I told Him that I don't understand how the last six months (or the last two years) could be for our good and His glory. I told Him how sad I am. And He listened. At 4:30 I thought I should try sleep again and I prayed, "God, thank you for meeting with me in the middle of the night. I don't want to be alone." I felt His presence as I climbed back into bed and went to sleep. 


I do not have answers for the deep sorrows that we experience and must carry for the rest of our lives. Sometimes the wounds become scars that have changed us but no longer hurt us like they once did. Sometimes they heal a bit but remain raw and cause pain. I also do not understand how the dark providences of God work for my sanctification or why they are necessary. 

However, this I know; God has given us promises and He will keep them. He has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you" and "in this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world." 

I do not understand, but I do believe that God is wise and powerful and knows better than I do. There have been times when I have not felt the presence of God during a season of sorrow, but eventually He has returned to me. In this season of tears He has been very close. 

The day has not yet arrived when He will wipe the tears from our eyes, but He has promised to hold our right hands and to supply us with His Comforter. Take heart, weary saint, you are not alone. Your Redeemer is near. Though now we see through a glass dimly, when He returns we shall see face to face. I do not know why we must walk through the fire and water, but I am confident that He will lead us to a place of abundance. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Actually, I'm engaged

If you are a Christian you are part of the greatest love story every told to mankind. This story begins with God speaking and it ends with an "amen". It's found between the covers of this book called "The Bible" and if you haven't read it I suggest you begin immediately because you will be amazed at the love recorded there. If you are a Christian you are described as a member of God's church and if you are a member of His church you are also part of the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5). You might say that Israel in the Old Testament was God's church and He made His love story very clear to them as well...though not because they deserved it. Song of Solomon tells the deep, intimate love of Christ for His church and the adoration of the church for Jesus; it's the story of how it should always be . Sadly, in a few books later we read a story that is heart wrenching. Ezekiel 16 is titled "The Lord's Faithless Bride" because this bride, t...

a different perspective

Henry was walking quickly down the sidewalk one sunny summer afternoon. He had finished his chores and so his mother had let him go out to the park to play baseball with his friends before Dad came home for supper. Henry was quite excited about this adventure but he stopped suddenly when he passed the white church and saw his pastor sitting on the steps with a downcast expression on his normally joyous face.      "Hi Pastor Clay," Henry greeted him as he came to a complete stop just on the other side of the white fence.      "Hello Henry," Pastor Clay's answer was sad.      "How are you today?" Henry asked again, hoping all was well so that he could go play.      "Oh alright," Pastor Clay answered.     With all his might Henry wanted to nod and smile and be on his way...but he couldn't. Instead, he lifted the gate's latch and walked over to the step. Once there, he seated himself beside the pa...

The lost art of JOY

In my parents' household there is almost always someone smiling, laughing, or doing something amusing. This isn't to say that we don't have serious talks and ponder deep mysteries, but in general there is a lightness about their home that is both welcoming and relaxing. This, however, is not a popular trend in today's culture.   The gift of joy, being able to laugh, and finding pleasure in normal every day things seems to have been drowned in the bottomless pit of  work, raising a family, school, money, and stress. Life is busy and I think everyone can agree with that, however, I don't believe the business is the problem. The issue really is selfishness. Sometimes it takes effort, a lot of effort, to step outside of your stressed out, busy mindset and listen to what your child is saying and laugh . Yes, that's right, it is OK to laugh at the silly things that happen.   I believe my father is becoming a master at this art of laughter.  When the...