Skip to main content

The Gospel Is About More Than Just You

The gospel is amazing. We are sinners, and our sin separates us from God. In our natural state, the Bible calls us dead (Ephesians 2), in the domain of darkness (Colossians 1) and enemies of God (Romans 8). But God doesn't leave us that way. Jesus came to the world as the God-Man, lived a perfect life as a substitute for our sinful life, died on the cross, rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father, interceding for us. 

The gospel. 

But salvation is not the end of the Christian story. Salvation is not, fundamentally, about getting into Heaven when we die, but about living in relationship with God as we were created to do. Jesus has broken down the dividing wall of hostility (Ephesians 2) and has transferred us from the domain of darkness into the kingdom of light (Colossians 1), so that we can live each day with God. 

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. Titus 2:11-14 NASB

Jesus did not come to the world, first of all, to save us for our own sakes, but for God. He is after a holy people (1 Peter 2). Salvation is not primarily about us, but about God getting the glory that He deserves. 

The children's catechism is so helpful here. Who made you? God. What else did God make? All things. Why did God make you and all things? For His own glory. How are you to glorify God? By loving Him and doing what He commands. 

These are the answers to life's searching questions. Why are you here? Because God made me so that I will glorify Him by loving Him and doing what He commands. 

Our focus has to turn from us to God. As Titus says, He is saving a  people for His own possession. And with that saving comes the amazing truth that I am His, and He is mine. I am no longer my own, but bought with a price, so I must honour God in all that I do, whether that's eating or drinking or driving to the store or spending time praying and reading the Bible or getting to work on time. All of it. 

Jesus did not just come to give you a get-out-of-hell free card, He came to save a people for Himself, for His Father's glory. He came so that once again humanity can walk with God, hand in hand (Psalm 73). Salvation is about having a living, vibrant, intimate relationship with God. God not only lets you into His house, out of the cold, He bids you take your shoes off and unpack. You live with Him now. 


What I'm Reading 

    • I finished Dale of the Mounted in Newfoundland by Joe Holliday. If was a fun read. I think if you have boys that love the Hardy Boys they may also enjoy this one. 
    • Take Heart Daily Devotions to Deepen Your Faith by David Powlison. Looking for a daily devotional for 2024? This one is short and thought provoking, an excellent addition to daily scripture reading. 
    • 5 minutes in Church History by Stephen J. Nichols. An easy and insightful read. There is a podcast by the same name if you'd rather listen than read. 

What I'm Enjoying 

    • Friends. Have you ever thought how wonderful and kind it is of the Lord to give us friends? 
    • I've been listening to Christmas albums by the Piano Guys, Rent Collective, Christmas Music Holiday Trio, and Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker 
    • Making sourdough bread. I'm late to the game with this one, mostly because people kept saying how hard it is. It's not hard. Every loaf has turned out and it's super easy.

"My long scrutiny showed me the keenest eye, the hardest mouth, the subtlest smile I ever saw--a face which in repose wore the look that comes from those who have led lives of pleasure and learned their emptiness." A Whisper In the Dark by Louisa May Alcott




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett