Skip to main content

Encouragement from Psalm 11

I've been using the book, "Psalms in 30 Days," during my morning worship. Yesterday I read Psalm 11. It begins with the Psalmist declaring "I have taken refuge in the LORD" and then he asks, "how can you say to me, 'escape to the mountains like a bird! For look; the wicked string bows...When the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?'" (verse 1-3 CBS). The wicked are taunting him, trying to get him to focus on all the bad stuff and freak out. 

He replies that he's taken refuge in the LORD. "Why are you encouraging me to fear and flee? Why are you bringing me to despair by pointing out that the foundations are destroyed and then asking what I am going to do about it?" 

The LORD is in His holy temple. The LORD-His throne is in Heaven. His eyes watch. His gaze examines everyone. The LORD examines the righteous, but he hates the wicked and those who love violence...for the LORD is righteous; He loves righteous deeds. The upright will see His face. (verse 4-7 CBS)

The world is a sea of wickedness. What can the righteous do? What can the people of God do? 

Remember. The LORD is in His holy temple. He's got this. He hates wickedness and He will destroy wickedness and wicked people. But you know what He loves? Righteousness, and righteous deeds. Those who live before Him and obey Him, covered in the righteousness of Jesus, they're going to see His face. Isn't that crazy? 

This reality gives me hope and removes fear. God has got this. He wants me to live righteously and do righteous deeds for His glory; He'll take care of the rest. It puts the cares and concerns of this world into their proper places. It helps me carry on, being obedient in my everyday life and leave the rest with God. He knows. He's got this. He loves me. I can trust Him. It is well with my soul. 

What I'm Reading Lately 

    • Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. This was our book club book in May. It's historic fiction about something I had no knowledge of. It was awful and crazy, parts were really well written and parts were...well...less well written. If you're looking for an interesting and heart wrenching summer read, I recommend this one. 
    • The Staff and the Sword series by Patrick W. Carr. I'm on book three and I'd like someone else to read this series so that we can discuss it. Again, a great summer read. 
    • A whole pile of ancient world literature for my school course (think Gilgamesh and The Odyssey), 

What I'm Enjoying Lately 

    • my blender. I use it almost every day for smoothies or making butter or creaming tomato sauce. 
    • putting cooked lentils in tomato sauce. If you blend them in, you can't taste them and they add protein and fiber. 
    • morning worship on the patio 
    • flavoured, cold green tea
    • my icemaker, and making fun drinks 
    • watching my nieces and nephews catching tadpoles 
    • sourdough focaccia bread

O help me to set an upright example that will ever rebuke vice, allure to goodness, and evidence that lovely are the ways of Christ. The Valley of Vision pg 227

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Back in Time

I pulled into the laneway of a home that I'm sure would have looked quaint if I could have seen it through all the trees. The sign by the road read "hanging baskets and railroad ties" and lo and behold that was just what I was looking for (I mean the railroad ties, not the hanging baskets).  I parked close to the grass incase a buggy had to get by and slipped out of the red mini van. I didn't see anyone. That, however, does not mean that someone did not see me. I strolled over to look at the flowers to wait for someone to come out and see what the crazy girl with the pony-tail was doing on their property. A large dog, missing his right eye, managed to find me first and it was while I was petting this friendly, half blind, beast that the house seemed to spit out a young lady. She was wearing a long dress, an apron, and a head covering. She walked toward me with a smile and I recognized her from a singing I had gone to at the neighbors place a few months earlier. I

Mending your Fence

Since the weather has been warmer than usual this past week I've noticed some strange happenings in day to day life, both in the world and in the church. Somehow it seems that one of our good friends wants to be seen more and more, her name is Skin. Skin does not really like to be covered up by clothing when it is nice and warm out so we give her her lead and let her soak up one of her best friends, Sunshine. This is all fine and dandy for Skin and Sunshine but there is a problem with one of our other good friends, Eyes. Eyes LOVES winter because that's when Skin is controlled in the wonderful boundaries of clothing. However, when spring comes around it's as if Skin is too strong for the fence of clothing and she is let free to run wild. This causes a lot of trouble and anxiety for Eyes. Eyes wants to glorify God by not tempting the heart it's involved with to lust. Now, what God created Eyes for was to look at things and to see the good things God has done. It's tr