Skip to main content

Not Our Best Work

 A group of woman sat around a table; laughing, sharing stories, teasing each other. It was light hearted, a refreshment after a day in the trenches of life. One woman was being teased quite heavily and good-natured laughter danced through the air. What a gifts friendship and laughter are. Then I caught a glance of the woman's face. She was politely smiling, but definitely not laughing. That good natured teasing had gone too far. It had hit a nerve. Her eyes were begging for it to stop. 

The subject changed and the conversation moved on. Later, when I contemplated the situation (as one does laying in bed at night) I thought that was not our best work. The women around that table were women pursing God, women who love each other, women who truly want what is best for each other, women who know how to be an encouragement. However, in this instance, we chose to laugh over a subject we are not sensitive too, at the expense of another woman's comfort because she was sensitive to it. Let me put it this way; we were not mindful of her things, we were only mindful of our own (see Philippians 2). It was not malicious. It was simply thoughtless. 

Not our best work.

It has set me thinking to other times when I've been in a situation and allowed my own wants to dominate how I act. How often must people forgive me for being short sighted? How often does my Father in Heaven cast my unrealized sin as far as the east is from the west when I pray "forgive me for the sins I don't realize I've done"? Probably a lot. 

God has told us that when we meet together we are to encourage each other and build each other up, and that truth has been tucked in my back pocket without me actively trying to obey it. My friend's sad eyes across the table were a wake-up call. 

How would it change our conversations and interactions if we actively chose to show up and do our best work? To encourage and bless those around us? To look at someone else's life, ask meaningful questions, and try to understand where they're coming from? 

May God give us grace to be intentional and kind and gracious. May the Spirit show us how to meet the needs of those around us and bless them with words of encouragement. 

And may we regularly come home and feel we have done good work that pleases God and blesses His people. 


What I'm Reading Lately 

    • We just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett for book club. I did not like it. Most of the other girls did. I found the main characters unlikeable, and the book over all a bit trashy and feminist. 
    • For this month we're reading The Hobbit by Tolkien for book club. 
    • I also recently finished The Warden by Anthony Trollope. I liked Barchester Towers better but this was still a very pleasant read. 
    • C.T. Studd: Cricketer&Pioneer by Norman P. Grubb was a thrift store find about an early missionary. I really enjoyed it. 

What I'm Enjoying Lately 

    • Evening walks around my neighbourhood 
    • The podcast Classical Stuff You Should Know 
    • learning to make a good kefir water. It's harder than I thought 
    • sourdough bread (lots of food fermenting in my house) 
    • the cooler weather and open windows 

"Quiet waiting before GOD would save from many a mistake and from many a sorrow." Hudson Taylor 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Back in Time

I pulled into the laneway of a home that I'm sure would have looked quaint if I could have seen it through all the trees. The sign by the road read "hanging baskets and railroad ties" and lo and behold that was just what I was looking for (I mean the railroad ties, not the hanging baskets).  I parked close to the grass incase a buggy had to get by and slipped out of the red mini van. I didn't see anyone. That, however, does not mean that someone did not see me. I strolled over to look at the flowers to wait for someone to come out and see what the crazy girl with the pony-tail was doing on their property. A large dog, missing his right eye, managed to find me first and it was while I was petting this friendly, half blind, beast that the house seemed to spit out a young lady. She was wearing a long dress, an apron, and a head covering. She walked toward me with a smile and I recognized her from a singing I had gone to at the neighbors place a few months earlier. I

Mending your Fence

Since the weather has been warmer than usual this past week I've noticed some strange happenings in day to day life, both in the world and in the church. Somehow it seems that one of our good friends wants to be seen more and more, her name is Skin. Skin does not really like to be covered up by clothing when it is nice and warm out so we give her her lead and let her soak up one of her best friends, Sunshine. This is all fine and dandy for Skin and Sunshine but there is a problem with one of our other good friends, Eyes. Eyes LOVES winter because that's when Skin is controlled in the wonderful boundaries of clothing. However, when spring comes around it's as if Skin is too strong for the fence of clothing and she is let free to run wild. This causes a lot of trouble and anxiety for Eyes. Eyes wants to glorify God by not tempting the heart it's involved with to lust. Now, what God created Eyes for was to look at things and to see the good things God has done. It's tr