Skip to main content

Not Our Best Work

 A group of woman sat around a table; laughing, sharing stories, teasing each other. It was light hearted, a refreshment after a day in the trenches of life. One woman was being teased quite heavily and good-natured laughter danced through the air. What a gifts friendship and laughter are. Then I caught a glance of the woman's face. She was politely smiling, but definitely not laughing. That good natured teasing had gone too far. It had hit a nerve. Her eyes were begging for it to stop. 

The subject changed and the conversation moved on. Later, when I contemplated the situation (as one does laying in bed at night) I thought that was not our best work. The women around that table were women pursing God, women who love each other, women who truly want what is best for each other, women who know how to be an encouragement. However, in this instance, we chose to laugh over a subject we are not sensitive too, at the expense of another woman's comfort because she was sensitive to it. Let me put it this way; we were not mindful of her things, we were only mindful of our own (see Philippians 2). It was not malicious. It was simply thoughtless. 

Not our best work.

It has set me thinking to other times when I've been in a situation and allowed my own wants to dominate how I act. How often must people forgive me for being short sighted? How often does my Father in Heaven cast my unrealized sin as far as the east is from the west when I pray "forgive me for the sins I don't realize I've done"? Probably a lot. 

God has told us that when we meet together we are to encourage each other and build each other up, and that truth has been tucked in my back pocket without me actively trying to obey it. My friend's sad eyes across the table were a wake-up call. 

How would it change our conversations and interactions if we actively chose to show up and do our best work? To encourage and bless those around us? To look at someone else's life, ask meaningful questions, and try to understand where they're coming from? 

May God give us grace to be intentional and kind and gracious. May the Spirit show us how to meet the needs of those around us and bless them with words of encouragement. 

And may we regularly come home and feel we have done good work that pleases God and blesses His people. 


What I'm Reading Lately 

    • We just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett for book club. I did not like it. Most of the other girls did. I found the main characters unlikeable, and the book over all a bit trashy and feminist. 
    • For this month we're reading The Hobbit by Tolkien for book club. 
    • I also recently finished The Warden by Anthony Trollope. I liked Barchester Towers better but this was still a very pleasant read. 
    • C.T. Studd: Cricketer&Pioneer by Norman P. Grubb was a thrift store find about an early missionary. I really enjoyed it. 

What I'm Enjoying Lately 

    • Evening walks around my neighbourhood 
    • The podcast Classical Stuff You Should Know 
    • learning to make a good kefir water. It's harder than I thought 
    • sourdough bread (lots of food fermenting in my house) 
    • the cooler weather and open windows 

"Quiet waiting before GOD would save from many a mistake and from many a sorrow." Hudson Taylor 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Actually, I'm engaged

If you are a Christian you are part of the greatest love story every told to mankind. This story begins with God speaking and it ends with an "amen". It's found between the covers of this book called "The Bible" and if you haven't read it I suggest you begin immediately because you will be amazed at the love recorded there. If you are a Christian you are described as a member of God's church and if you are a member of His church you are also part of the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5). You might say that Israel in the Old Testament was God's church and He made His love story very clear to them as well...though not because they deserved it. Song of Solomon tells the deep, intimate love of Christ for His church and the adoration of the church for Jesus; it's the story of how it should always be . Sadly, in a few books later we read a story that is heart wrenching. Ezekiel 16 is titled "The Lord's Faithless Bride" because this bride, t...

a different perspective

Henry was walking quickly down the sidewalk one sunny summer afternoon. He had finished his chores and so his mother had let him go out to the park to play baseball with his friends before Dad came home for supper. Henry was quite excited about this adventure but he stopped suddenly when he passed the white church and saw his pastor sitting on the steps with a downcast expression on his normally joyous face.      "Hi Pastor Clay," Henry greeted him as he came to a complete stop just on the other side of the white fence.      "Hello Henry," Pastor Clay's answer was sad.      "How are you today?" Henry asked again, hoping all was well so that he could go play.      "Oh alright," Pastor Clay answered.     With all his might Henry wanted to nod and smile and be on his way...but he couldn't. Instead, he lifted the gate's latch and walked over to the step. Once there, he seated himself beside the pa...

The lost art of JOY

In my parents' household there is almost always someone smiling, laughing, or doing something amusing. This isn't to say that we don't have serious talks and ponder deep mysteries, but in general there is a lightness about their home that is both welcoming and relaxing. This, however, is not a popular trend in today's culture.   The gift of joy, being able to laugh, and finding pleasure in normal every day things seems to have been drowned in the bottomless pit of  work, raising a family, school, money, and stress. Life is busy and I think everyone can agree with that, however, I don't believe the business is the problem. The issue really is selfishness. Sometimes it takes effort, a lot of effort, to step outside of your stressed out, busy mindset and listen to what your child is saying and laugh . Yes, that's right, it is OK to laugh at the silly things that happen.   I believe my father is becoming a master at this art of laughter.  When the...