Skip to main content

The Sound of Praise




In a store front with a yellow canopy there sits a church. It's small. So small you would almost miss it as you drive past if it wasn't for the people floating in and out. Families loaded with small children and too many bags enter in a slow clump as a lady helps with their coats. A young couple with their Bibles under their arms and a Tupperware container of cookies follow. A few singles file in. The noise doesn't stop. It merely escalates as the family of Christ comes together. Two men carry a sign out onto the street with the words "JOIN US FOR CHURCH AT 10:00 & 3:00"

The people inside put their things down and try to get their children settled as they share stories about their week; some stories for smiles and some for tears. Visitors arrive late and a regular attendee stands up to get them song books and a Bible and helps them find a seat.

Finally the minster takes his place and announces the first song. A strong voice leads and the others quickly join. The singing is nothing to compare with Handel as these voices are not trained but rather ill equipped common people, some of whom have only known the blessing of a Sabbath rest for a short time, but the praise is there and it's sincere.

Throughout the service children flip through books and suck on bottles and knock over toys at their parents feet. One small child periodically says "hello" as she's not used to sitting quietly yet. A mother takes her toddler to the basement to play when he can sit still no longer. The speaker downstairs allows her still enjoy the sermon.

In the middle of the sermon another noise sounds when the door to the street thumps closed as someone leaves for a smoke. Shortly after the door opens again to welcome them back in. 

After the final song, blessing, and prayer the people are dismissed for a time of fellowship. Again people share more about their week, their struggles, and what they learned from the sermon. Children weave through the crowd of legs that block the way from the stack of books to the snack table. 

 After a short discussion time different families join for an "on the fly lunch." One family has a clean home and the other has some food and they get together to share. 

The entire episode is noisy. Not noisy like a symphony. Noisy like you periodically want to plug your ears. But I think God looks down and smiles. He smiles at the mother who tries to quiet her child so the others can hear. He smiles at the man who grew up in the church and now shares his Bible with his friend who's never been there before. He smiles at the lady who plays with the children. And He smiles at the man who gives an encouraging word. And He smiles at the pastor who continues with the work of leading the service and preaching the Word despite all the distractions. 

Overall I think it sounds like praising God. Just what church ought to be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I