Skip to main content

a different perspective

Henry was walking quickly down the sidewalk one sunny summer afternoon. He had finished his chores and so his mother had let him go out to the park to play baseball with his friends before Dad came home for supper. Henry was quite excited about this adventure but he stopped suddenly when he passed the white church and saw his pastor sitting on the steps with a downcast expression on his normally joyous face. 
    "Hi Pastor Clay," Henry greeted him as he came to a complete stop just on the other side of the white fence. 
    "Hello Henry," Pastor Clay's answer was sad. 
    "How are you today?" Henry asked again, hoping all was well so that he could go play. 
    "Oh alright," Pastor Clay answered.
    With all his might Henry wanted to nod and smile and be on his way...but he couldn't. Instead, he lifted the gate's latch and walked over to the step. Once there, he seated himself beside the pastor. They were an odd looking pair, Henry in his ripped overalls and the pastor in his best suit and tie. Henry's hair peeked out under his baseball cap and his face was dirty while the pastor was clean and well kept.
    They sat there in silence for a long time until Henry broke it. He had either had enough of sitting or he wanted to go play baseball before Dad came home, either way he asked a question that grown-ups wouldn't dare ask so bluntly. "Well, did somebody die?"
    Pastor Clay looked down at him and then across the road. "Nope."
    "Someone's dog die?"
     "Nope,"
     Henry thought, "someone's goldfish? It couldn't have been a cat because you wouldn't be sad about that." 
     Pastor Clay looked down at the concern filled eyes of the boy. "No, nothing died."
     "Then why are you moping?" 
     Again Pastor Clay turned his attention to the boy. "Because today is a very bad day. You'll understand more when you're older." 
     Henry thought for a moment. "You know, things are rarely as bad as they seem. I mean, everyone was sad when Jesus died and it was actually a really good thing that He did die." 
    The pastor looked at the boy. "Thank you Henry. That is an excellent point." 
    Henry smiled. "You're welcome." He stood and walked to the gate, went through it and went on his way to play with his friends.
     The pastor watched the boy walk away. He stared up to heaven and started to whisper a prayer. "Thank you Heavenly Father. Sometimes we need to be reminded that You are in control even when we don't understand. Please grant me a heart of trust so that I can see Your hand in the good as well as the bad. Amen." 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I