Skip to main content

Man Points


This past week I was talking to a few 16-year-old guys and it wasn’t long before we began to discuss them becoming “men”. This discussion naturally flowed into the topic of “man points”. For those of you who aren’t aware of the term “man points” let me explain. Man points simply show what level of manliness you are at by the things that you do. Here’s an example; if a guy holds open a door for a lady his “man points” would go up by, say, 20 points. If a guy opens the door for himself and goes through it before a lady can go through his “man points” would go down by about 100.
      It has occurred to me this past week that there are some young men out there who are genuinely trying to grow in godliness and be the kind of men that God requires them to be. There are also some older boys who act as if they are still children and are content to play around rather than get serious about their faith. To those striving in godliness I encourage you, to those who are content to play I implore you to leave your toys and fun and seek after things that are above. 
You see, being a man means more than opening doors, carrying heavy things, leading discussion groups, and holding the hymn book.  While these things are all important, and appreciated by yours truly, being a man means not focusing on your own wants and desires and instead focusing on what Christ has done for you. Being a man means giving up things (like going first) and providing what others need.
     So why does there seem to be a lack of men in our Christian circles today? Part if it has to do with parents. It appears that parents are not requiring that their “boys” grow into “men”. Computer games and beer take up the time that working and volunteering should. Another problem is that girls tend not to encourage guys toward godliness. Some of us seem to think that we should just put up with the immaturity and hope he grows up someday. The core of the problem, however, is that we don’t sincerely believe the Bible nor do we take the cross seriously. If men truly loved the cross and made it the focus of their lives they would stop being selfish and seek to gain “man points” not because girls like it but because Christ calls them to “take up your cross and follow Me.” (Matt 16:24)
       In the Bible there are many examples of men who went above and beyond to obey God. Samuel could have died if he was caught anointing David. (1 Sam. 16) Abraham sent to a far off land so that his son would not marry a woman from Canaan. (Gen. 24) Jeshua and Zerubbabel rebuilt the alter after the exile despite the danger from the people around them (Ezra 3) And the prophets were constantly threatened because they obeyed God’s commands and preached His words. If we had more men, young and old, who were serious about God and what He commands we could have a revival of on our hands. (that would be awesome!)
Once again, if you are a man seeking after godliness I encourage you. Continue in this quest to be a man after God’s own heart and even though you will face trials of all kinds your reward will be great. If you aren’t sure how to become a man ask your father, if you don’t have a godly father find a man from your church and talk to him. Continue to pray for wisdom (James 1:5).  
As a girl, I would like to add that I am personally encouraged by the guys, young and old, who seek to honor God even when it’s not cool or convenient. Thank you for carrying the heavy stuff, for opening the door, for holding the book, for not flirting with all the other girls, for talking about God, for picking up the garbage, for singing your heart out in church, for talking to the outcast, for stacking the chairs, for playing with the little kids, for listening, and for all the other selfless things you do because you love Jesus. Once again, you encourage me. It may seem small but God is honored in our tiny acts of obedience as well as our large ones. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I