Skip to main content

Parents


There they are. You have them too. Everyone does. They are the people who told you “no” when you were little and then continued to tell you “no” as you grew up and then when you finally became an adult they told you “well, it’s really up to you” but what they meant was “no” and you just wished they said it out loud. However, they were also the people who fed your friends when they came over, taught you to do dishes, bought your first puppy, and make cake for your birthday. They are your parents and you probably won’t realize how much they shaped who you are until you no longer live with them.

This is what happened to me.  Growing up there were things I didn’t understand about my parents and things I didn’t like. There were times we didn’t get along and many times when we couldn’t stop laughing. I don’t think I really appreciated them until I moved out and I probably still don’t appreciate them as much as I should. One thing I found frustrating at times was when I would ask Dad “what do you think I should do?” he would look me straight in the eye and say “what do you think you should do?” This left the decision solely up to me and yet he would guild me with his questions in such a gentle and unsuspecting way that often the choice I made was the one he would have made for me. His wisdom in not deciding things for his children has shaped them into people who can now think for themselves and wrestle with hard questions, and yet he is always there to help us if we can’t seem to tackle it by ourselves.

My mother was just as guilty in this respect. I suppose one of the ways she most greatly influenced me was in hospitality. My mother is a “think ahead” type of person. Cookies are kept in her freezer just in case people come over.  Saturday morning was dreaded because we all had to tidy our house incase we invited someone over for lunch on Sunday between church services.  There are always ways to make a meal feed more people and coming home from a long, dirty day at work you could never be too sure who would be seated at our kitchen table.  

Besides these things my parents made their house a happy, welcoming, comfortable, loving home. They encouraged our imaginations by reading us bedtime stories and sending us outside to build forts. They held us when we cried and disciplined us when we disobeyed and taught us about God.  Now as I observe other families and see how they do things I realize that my parents weren’t perfect in what they did but the foundation they gave us is solid.

Now I tidy my home on Saturday mornings and try to keep extra cookies on hand. When people ask for advice I hear my father’s voice in mine, not answering the questions for them but instead asking questions. My parents have shaped who I am and I don’t suppose you will ever understand until you meet these two incredible people.

 I understand that not everyone has had the same blessings as I’ve had. To those who don’t have good parents I would encourage you to find a couple in your church that you can “adopt” as parents who will give you guidance and lead you in wisdom and love.

If you have been as blessed as me then I encourage you to learn as much from your parents as you can, forgive their faults and embrace their wisdom. They will shape you more than you know or imagine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I