Skip to main content

But what does God want?

I recently read 2 articles that have been floating around facebook. One talks about what women want in a godly man and the other is about what men want in a godly woman. The first talks about how men should be honest, pure, strong, compassionate, and humble and the second says that women should be real, confident, beautiful (in spirit), and passionate. These articles were interesting and insightful if those are the only questions you want answers to. (and I did find that the one to men didn't really convey what I would like in my husband). But the real question for Christians is what does God want in a godly man or godly woman?

To answer this question in depth I would encourage you to read the entire Bible. If you would like a shorter answer please turn to 1 Timothy 2:8-11 and Titus 2:5-6.

We'll begin with men. In this chapter Paul tells Timothy "I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing." Matthew Henry explains that men are to pray everywhere; in their closets, around their dining tables, in the car, everywhere. They are to live in close fellowship with their God, talking to Him everywhere and being an example to those around them. Paul tells Titus to "encourage the young men to be self controlled". They aren't to be proud, but should use the energy God gave them in their youth with wisdom. God wants men who pray and are self controlled and if that's what God wants in a man, then that's what a godly woman should want in a man too.

Paul moves on to talk about the women. They are to dress decently and not be preoccupied with how they look but should instead be busy doing good works. They are told to learn, but to do so quietly without ruling over men (Timothy 2). Paul tells Titus that the older women should teach the young women to be self-controlled, pure, busy at home, kind, and subject to their husbands (assuming you don't have a husband you should be subject to your father and the leaders of your church). God wants women who are more preoccupied with heavenly matters than earthly treasures. Men, that's what you should want in a woman too.

You see (and this may sound strange) but it really doesn't matter so much what you want in a man or woman. Yes, some things are nice; if he has dark hair, if she's slim, if he likes to go for walks, if she can cook, if, if, if... But those things are not overly important. What you, godly young person, should desire in your spouse is that he/she is godly. You must both love God more than you love anyone or anything else. Before you make a list of qualities you want in your mate, perhaps you should seek out God's opinion. After all, the reason you are on this earth is to bring Him glory and the reason you will get married is for His glory; you might as well start out on the right foot by desiring (and being) the person He wants you to be.

And once you know what God's standards are don't compromise them. Yes, He works in us all differently and teaches us different things. One girl may be learning how to submissive while another is learning to be kind. But the point must be she's learning. Your future spouse does not have to be perfect (because then you will never get married) but she/he does need to want to be perfect because it's what God wants.

So as you live your life, live in the light of this question; is this who God wants me to be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I