Skip to main content

The Gift of Children (and their parents)

Children are a big part of life. In fact, they seem to radiate life. If you walk down the hall of nursing home with a child's hand in your own the faces of all those who see you, or rather the child, will light up. Children are believers, trusting, hopeful, creative, and always looking to something they have yet to obtain and yet are still content with what they have.

Children have always been a big part of my life. And it is from these little people that I have learned many things. The five boys I used to babysit taught me how to climb hay bales, scrape feed, play with their farm animals, and also kindly inform me that they can do somethings better without my help (like build their Lego trucks and planes.) They taught me how to deal with conflict and laugh at their antics. The children at church teach me what love is when they share their toys and books and hug their mothers close. My music students teach me to explore and wonder and learn and overcome hard things.

 Proverbs 22:6 says "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." (NKJV) The word "train" speaks of instruction and practice. I find it interesting that God's call to parents is to instruct children in the way they should go. He does not say "your child is to be perfect" or "make your child be whatever it is you have in mind for him to be." because the truth of the matter is that parents cannot make their children do or be anything. Children are not to be brainwashed.They are meant to live at home for certain number of years under the supervision and wisdom of their parents and then they must move on and serve God on their own two feet. The years spent at home are when parents do the most training.

Children are not perfect. They're sinful. That's why they need training. The thing about training is that it takes time, practice, and patience. Do not expect your child to act as if they know what to do after instructing them once. No music student has yet to come to their second lesson and know where middle C is.

All that being said, I would like to say a great big "thank you!" to the parents that are patiently and tirelessly training their children. I watch your struggle with great appreciation. It's not fun to discipline your two-year-old over and over again for throwing his food; but don't worry, one day he will no longer throw his food thanks to your efforts. I know very feel adults who throw their food and society at large is better for it. It's not fun to tell your pre-teen to help out more and change her clothes again into modest apparel and do her homework. She will be a better woman, friend, wife, and mother for it. It's not fun to listen to your sons' continual wrestling or cleaning  their dirty clothes or enforcing curfew. They will be better leaders, workers, husbands, and fathers because of it.

Thank you for allowing your children to learn simple things like using crayons and scissors to more difficult things like helping a friend and baking cookies. Your child makes mistakes. You make mistakes. God's grace is great.

No, your job does not look fun. But it is extremely important. The future of the world depends on how you train your children. They, and you, are a gift to this world. May you use your time wisely and may your children have the training they need. My prayers are with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett