Skip to main content

In the World but Not of It

In my research for this article I discovered that a verse in the Bible that says "be in the world but not of it" is not to be found, but the idea itself is everywhere. Jesus prayed that His disciples would not be taken out of the world but that they would be kept from evil (John 17) and John said that if we love the world and the things of the world we do not have the love of God (1 John 2:15-17).

But here is a confusing problem that faces me as I look at the modern North American Church; we are far more of the world than in the world. We spend our time the same ways, watch the same movies, listen to the same music, and go to the same places. We are concerned with the same things, namely money, sex, and entertainment, and spend a lot more time perusing those ends than praying, studying and memorizing the Bible, fighting injustices, changing society, caring for our neighbours, and encouraging our leaders both in the church and politically.

But how did Jesus portray being in the world and not of it?

He prayed. He prayed a lot. (Mark 1:35, Luke 5:16) He spent time alone with the Father. This is key when it comes to not being of the world. The closer you are to the One who commands and displays holiness the more you will be in tune with what He wants and the more you will love Him and want to do what He commands. In Colossians 1:29 Paul says "For this I toil, struggling with all His (God's) energy which he powerfully works within me." Do you doubt the power of God to work through you? Perhaps you are weak, but He is strong. Go in His strength.

But how was Jesus in the world? For one thing, He ate. Matthew 9:10 tells us He ate at Matthew's house. Matthew was not a good guy. In our society he would probably be compared with a drug dealer or worse. But there was Jesus, at his house, eating with Matthew and his friends (tax-collectors and sinners ie prostitutes). This is a wonderful example for us. Food, eating, sharing this daily necessity, is pivotal in sharing the gospel. It may not be comfortable, in fact it may be dirty and smell like drugs, but Jesus was not comfortable when He came down to earth for us. He was with people whose sin is far more offensive to him than a gay person's can ever be to me.

Let me encourage you, oh wondering Bride of Christ, to live for your Bridegroom. He has not asked you to be rich, He has not asked you to build cathedrals, He has not even asked you first and foremost to get married, He has asked you to be holy (Leviticus 11:45) and to put away the pleasures of this world (1 Thessalonians 4:7). He asks you, like Peter, if you love Him and in reply He says "feed my sheep" (John 21).

It is time we realized our own immorality. We will all live on earth only so long and the only things we'll take with us when we die will be the souls we ministered to. Perhaps our rich churches should stop thinking about making our buildings bigger and rather consider planting a church where those in darkness dwell so that we can shine the light. Perhaps we need to say "no" to buying more clothes and toys and send money to our brothers and sisters in Ukraine who are starving.

Life is not about being rich, personally or as a church, and it is not about being entertained, it is about living for Jesus. And I think our lives would all be a bit more worthwhile if we turned off the TV, spent a little more time in prayer and and invited our abortionist neighbour over for dinner.

Do not be afraid. Go in His energy. Be in the world. Put away the things that are of the world. And live each day before your Maker and Savior.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God... Ephesians 6:12-13a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I