Skip to main content

Kids


Kids.

Simple yet so complex. Tears and tantrums and trouble. Imagination. Belly laughs. Learning. With kids there is oh so much learning for everyone involved. They're learning things like colours, numbers, shapes, sharing, and manners. You're learning things like patience, wisdom, gentleness, and perseverance.

Overwhelming.

Children are overwhelming. Their two greatest love languages are time and touch which makes your time their time and your body no longer your own. Personal space is gone. No really, gone.

Overwhelming.

Every moment is a learning opportunity. So your four-year-old wants your help right now but you can't help right now because you're stirring the gravy on the stove: patience. There is only one book and two people want to look at it: sharing. The baby breaks the three-year-old's tractor; controlling anger and forgiveness. Not interrupting while you talk with another adult; respect. Eating all the food on your plate; finishing what you started and being content with what was given you. And in a million other moments you're shaping them into the adults they will become.

Thankfully, in the midst of all the mess and fuss and crazy there are so many blessings. There are I love yous, laughter, and moments when they just "get it". No, they don't get it right away (try toilet training) but they do get it eventually. They connect dots with their own amazing logic. Like that boys are different than girls because they have short hair and pick their noses. That God makes the leaves different colours in the fall because He wants to have a colourful party before it snows. That we could do more if we had eight arms instead of two. That snorting is not polite even if you are a baby.

But perhaps the biggest blessing of all is knowing that these are not your children. These are God's children first and foremost. He has gifted them to you and will use you instrumentally in their lives. But they aren't really yours. So leave them in God's hands, do as He has directed, and pray, pray pray. His grace and spirit are greater than all the frustrations in the world.

I'll leave you with this encouragement from my three-year-old when we were talking about Jesus. We discussed how Jesus loves us, He's sad when we do bad things, and He made the world. Then something clicked and my little guy got excited and said something that we would all do well to remember.

"He has the whole world in His hands and I have the joy, joy, joy, down in my heart!" 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I