Skip to main content

Singleness; Blessing or Curse?

Many years ago I had the pleasure of attending a youth camp with a bunch of other church kids. Besides sports, lectures, swimming, and campfires we also had workshops. I love workshops. Small groups of people getting to know each other by discussing faith and life and whatever else comes to mind. In my personal opinion, girls-only workshops are the best of the best because when it's just girls we tend to get a lot more personal (sorry guys, that's just the way it is). In one such workshop my leader said something that I have pondered ever since.

"I think being single is a curse."                      

My seventeen-year-old self did not know what to do with this information. Blink. Blink again. Did she really just say that? Is that true? Are all of us single ladies doomed? If singleness is a curse and curses are bad how could Paul do so much for Jesus? Maybe it's only a curse for women...

It didn't make sense that any stage in life from God could be full-out cursed for everyone. Being a child, wife, husband, father, mother, or grandparent are all perfectly legitimate stages (hard, yes, but certainly not cursed) so why should singleness be any different?



However, the older I get, the longer I stay single and have single friends, the more I realize that even though people don't typically verbalize "singleness is a curse" they certainly don't imply that it's a blessing either. Suggestions for dates, offers to set you up or help you make an online account, and prayer on your sorry single behalf are all norms. Things really get to a climax when your well meaning friends see you talking to a single member of the opposite sex. That means love. If you're talking to each other you've gotta be in love, or at least interested. And don't even get me started on sharing a hymnbook in church!

Where does this notion get us? At the very least annoyed, at the very worst discontent with our God. Why are you still single? really translates into How did God manage to mess up with you? And so we have churches containing an entire group of people who are believing a lie fed to them by their brothers and sisters in Christ. That might sound harsh. But it's true. The underlying assumption is that you cannot be a whole person unless you are married, as if marriage completes you.

And if you aren't a whole person why would you bother to serve? If you need to be married to be complete then you probably also need to be married to show hospitality, work on committees, evangelize, teach Sunday school, be an elder or deacon, bake casseroles for the elderly, care for widows and orphans, or just about anything else that is commanded in the Bible. While it may be easier to care for orphans and show hospitality if you are married it is also entirely possible to do so if you are single. Singleness does not disqualify you from any of God's commandments.

"I just want you to be happy," some say. Marriage equals happiness? I am positive that there is happiness in marriage but I am also absolutely certain that marriage is not the only way to be happy on this earth. Unless you're married to God.


Our God is a God of love, tenderness, compassion, kindness, giving, and encouragement. He is enough. He is enough for married people and for single people. The longer I stay single the more in-love with Jesus I become. He will never leave me or forsake me, He always has time for me, He leads me with patience and rebukes me in love. I believe singleness, like all of God's providences, is a blessing.

Just as I need to encourage the mother who has been up five times in the night with a sad baby so I need to be encouraged by those around me that God's plan is good. We need to be people who remind each other of His promises and do it often. We all need to be encouraged to live sold-out lives for Jesus no matter what our station is. We all need to be reminded to use our gifts and time in His service no matter what challenges may accompany our positions.

So is singleness a blessing or a curse? I suppose that will depend very much on you and how you chose to view it. Complaining is easier than rejoicing and submitting. But no complainer ever found joy until he was willing to submit. Singleness may not be your first choice for you or for a friend; but it's what our Heavenly Father has gifted. The question is; what will you do with it in regards to yourself and others? Bless or curse?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I