Skip to main content

Gifts; 6:00 A.M.

"The weather today will be..." states a baritone voice, but that's as far as he gets because I've already switched the alarm clock off. Not snooze. Off. Rolling over, I mutter "please Lord, help me love mornings like You love mornings" then I sit up in the dark, rub my eyes, and stumble to the kitchen to turn on the kettle for a cup of tea. 

It's 6:00 A.M.

And it's the same every weekday morning.

Mornings are becoming one of my favorite parts of the day...but I'm not going to lie, from 6:00-6:10 I wonder repeatedly why I bothered to get up at all because the bed was so warm and I don't have to leave for work for another two hours. 

But then I sit on the couch with my Bible and prayer journal and I spend time with God. And all of a sudden the darkness outside and the chill inside pale in comparison to being with my Redeemer and King. No, it is not always fun (in fact it rarely is) but there is an incredible blessing bestowed upon my soul when I am faithful to meet with my Beloved. 



Praising God is difficult when my brain is still muddled from sleep. But I ask for help and I know that though my prayer is not holy, the Spirit makes it holy and acceptable to God. 

Confessing sin is heavy. Sin is heavy. When I look back over my journal it's filled with confession of the same sins. Every. Single. Day. Why would God forgive me? But He does. Because He loves me. Because Jesus has taken my place. 

Thanksgiving means remembering. Remembering what the Lord has done and Who He is. Remembering things we call "good" and "bad" because both are held in God's providence, which is good, wise, and oh so full of love. So thanksgiving means praising Him for the green lights on the way to work and the stubbed toe in the kitchen.

Requests are often short and sweet because time is ticking. Requests for my church, for the church universal, my family, the kids, friends, myself, the government, and whatever/whoever else God lays on my heart. 

The Bible on my lap holds promises and rebukes. It speaks ultimate truth and reveals the wickedness of my sin compared to my thrice holy God. Reading it, memorizing it, filling my mind and heart with the Word of God. 

By the time my clock (and stomach) remind me that I should eat breakfast, I can leave my couch knowing that I have been fed by the Bread of Life, I have read wisdom from a man wiser than I (usually a Puritan), I have sung praises to the King of Heaven, and I have spoken with God Himself. I don't always leave feeling warm and ready, sometimes I leave feeling sad, with a weight in my heart, but I do always leave knowing God better and longing for more of Him. 

So. Even though when the alarm goes off at 6:00 my greatest desire is to hit snooze and go back to sleep, by 7:00 I am always thankful I got up. Am I often very tired first thing in the morning? Yes. Do I dislike my alarm going off? Oh, yes. Does it mean I leave events earlier than normal at night so I can get enough sleep? Yes. Is it even worth loosing over an hour of sleep? Yes

Because before the spiritual battle of the day, my Commander has provided me with all  I need to fight in His army. And I dare not go into the fight without the armor, power, and blessing of my King. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I