Skip to main content

Gifts; Godly Shepherds

"So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed:  shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly;  not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.  And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory." 1 Peter 5:1-4 ESV

For those of you who don't know, I do not live very close to my family and I only make it home about once every four weeks. Naturally, this means I am friends with people who are not acquainted with my family and vise versa. Recently it was brought to my attention that perhaps I was not being wise in one of my relationships and I didn't know what to do. My father and mother have not observed the relationship in question so they wouldn't be able to shed much wisdom about it.

Thankfully, when God saves us He does not leave us to ourselves. One of His greatest gifts to us is the church family and within it He has provided pastors and elders; overseers of our souls.



So, first I prayed about the situation for about a week, then I texted my pastor's wife and asked if I could come over to talk. That evening I sat in their living room and had an honest conversation with my pastor and his wife, gleaned from their wisdom, received direction, was encouraged in my faith, and was prayed over.

This is just one of many examples of how my pastor and elders have cared for my soul. They have asked me deeply personal questions, prayed for and with me, preached the gospel, rebuked my sin, encouraged my faith, inquired after my activities, and have welcomed me into their homes and families. You see, they care for my soul, my soul, which is the one thing that man cannot kill and the one thing that, upon my death, will be in heaven until Jesus returns.

I understand that being a shepherd of souls is difficult. It takes time, prayer, wisdom, grace, patience, and much of oneself. This is a great responsibility. It's no wonder that Satan wishes and schemes that they may fail at their task, for if the shepherds fall the sheep quickly become helpless. This fact makes me resolve to pray for them so much more. And to give praise to Jesus, the Good Shepherd who never fails and who cared so much for our souls that He gave His life for them that we would have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10)

For this I am incredibly thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I