Skip to main content

Gifts; This Season

It was a wonderful Sunday. Today I was gifted with private worship, two church services, and lunch with several members of my immediate church family. Today is also Mother's Day and while my church doesn't pay much attention to holidays on Sunday (Sunday being the Lord's Day) my social media feed blew up with posts to and about and for mothers. Which is just fine. I am very thankful for mothers and my mother in particular has had a great influence on my life. I believe motherhood is one of the single hardest occupations. To godly mothers everywhere, thank you

Next weekend my pastor is speaking at a youth retreat. A few different people asked if I was going to the youth conference and when I replied "no" I was kindly reminded that youth conferences are great places to meet men. Youth conferences are great. I have been to loads and loads of youth conferences back when I had less responsibilities and I was generally encouraged in my faith. I also sincerely hope that next weekend goes very well. 

Why do I mention these two things? 

Because sometimes as a single young adult you are known for what you are not. You are not married. You are not a father or mother. 

But now, as I am home again, sitting on my bedroom floor with a full day of worship and fellowship behind me I feel very full. I don't think of my life as "what is not" or "what is missing" because honestly I almost never feel that anything is missing (except when I can't get a lid off a jar...then I think a husband or even a strong male neighbour would be incredibly convenient). But I digress... 

Life is full. 

And God is with me. 

So I am thankful for this season. 



I am thankful for this season of living alone because I don't really live alone; I live with the Holy Spirit in my heart and my Heavenly Father watching over me and guiding my way. Should my heart prompt me to complain there is no one here to complain to and God does not delight to hear my selfishness so He rebukes me. This is a blessing. I can do my devotions without interruption. I can listen to praise and worship music that I like and that feeds my soul. I can read books without feeling guilty that I'm not investing into the people in my household. I can be still.  I sleep through the night. I sit alone in church without distraction. I can welcome people into my home without worrying if someone else in my household is tired or weary. I can manage my own schedule and budget my time and money. I am being trained to be disciplined (not first of all to benefit others) but to bring glory to God.

Often in this season it is just God and me. This is also a huge blessing. 

Most of my friends are married and busy with their own households or jobs. 

God is totally dependable. Indeed, it is true that I have no lack (Psalm 34:9). 

No lack. 

I do not think of my life as "what I am not" or "what I am missing" but rather with great thanks in my heart for who He is and what He has provided. 


Someday the season will change. I will be older, have a different job, a different home, perhaps a household, and when that time comes I hope the confession from my lips and the testimony of my life remains "I have not lack". Because even if I should end up in the darkest dungeon all alone God will still be there and where my Heavenly Father, the King and Creator of all things, is, how can there be any lack?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett