Skip to main content

Gifts; Community

Community. 

Dictionary.com defines community as;

a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share 
government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.

It's people who live in the same area, with a common government and share a common culture or history. But at it's core community means people. It's people living together in the midst of the mess and chaos and beautiful of our days.

Human beings are interesting creatures. We come in all shapes and sizes with varying quirks, gifts, and flaws. We don't all struggle with the same thing but we do all struggle. We aren't all good at the same thing but we are all good at something. 

Specifically, I am very blessed to live in church community. More than anything else, church community is Christ's family. We argue. But we also pray. We are not always kind or encouraging. So we ask for forgiveness and seek to change. We are all sinners. But we all have a great Saviour. 


We live life together.  I love that as I enter the homes of my Christ-family I find women standing on floors dotted with cheerios, folding laundry at the table that also houses toy trucks and dolls. I love that in other homes I am met at the door by empty-nesters who hang my coat up and offer me tea. I love that one home contains a newly married couple with "fix it" projects on the go and another a single friend with soft, classical music. 

I love that people feel comfortable enough to ask if they can come over for lunch and that when they come, I don't feel bad about the dishes on my counter. 

This is life. 

Cheerios, projects, classical music, hung up coats, dirty dishes. 

Laughter, tears, games, stories, songs, frustrations, encouragements, serious talks. 

And prayer. 



The people who do community best are those who are real, who let you see what their life is like and invite you to partake. And those who pray. In solitude we kneel in our prayer closets, praying for ourselves and this community. Together we join in praise to God and ask for encouragement, for forgiveness, for the needs and concerns of others, and for revival. 

We cannot survive in isolation. I need this community that encourages me and loves me and rebukes my sin. I need this community that points me to Jesus. And I am so, SO thankful for each member of it. 

Every. Last. One. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Surprise Sin

Over Easter weekend I had the opportunity to visit my grandparents. We caught up over soup and egg salad sandwiches and then migrated to the living room with cups of tea. Gradually the conversation turned to a couple young siblings from their church whom they've observed seldom fight. Sometimes these kids do get angry or annoyed with each other and then they fight, but that is not their normal relationship. My grandfather made this observation, "isn't that just like sin? You are living your life of obedience and then all of a sudden its like sin gets the better of you." It was a comforting statement coming from my elderly grandfather who has been walking with the Lord for over 80 years. Even as a seasoned saint, sin still creeps up on him. But it has also made me think quite a bit. Sometimes I am tempted to think that if I do everything right (regular devotions, get enough sleep, listen to good music, eat well, have Christian fellowship, exercise) then I won't fal