Skip to main content

Gifts; Tables and Couches

It was warm summer night when two dear ladies entered my home. We sat in the living room; them with drinks to sip and a baby to bounce between them and me with some towels to finish folding. We talked about our lives, about God, about hard things and funny things.  It was here that we learned how to pray for one another. 

Recently, I sat in other woman's home, this time with me drinking tea and she folding the laundry. But again, we talked. And again, we learned how to pray for each other. 

I am so thankful for my own couch and table but also for the couches and tables of my friends. It is here, sisters-in-Christ, that we see life through another's eyes. It is here that we learn the struggles and joys of others and it is here that we learn what to take to the throne of grace when we pray for our church families. 




It is because of these times that I can now pray that Sheila would have grace to love and enjoy her children, that Marcy would have strength for her difficult job, that Ann would find joy in her home again, that Stacy would have the self-control to do her devotions, that Alana would be free from anxiety, that God would be near to Charis in her loneliness. The list goes on. 

We need to make time for this and be intentional about it. In order to have someone sit at my table I must invite them to come, I must be open and comfortable so it's easy for them to come. In order of me to sit on someone else's couch they need to invite me to go and I need to leave my own comfortable home to be in theirs. It can be scary. What will she think of my house? What if my child is bad and I have to discipline him while she's here? What if she doesn't talk? 




But sister, how can I pray for you if I do not know what you need? How can I pray for Jane and her unbelieving child if I do not know that her child doesn't have a relationship with God? How can you pray for me unless you know my struggles and joys? 

How are we to grow in unity and love if we are not living intentionally-intersecting-lives? Praying for each other? 

I know no other way. 

And I am thankful that because we are all redeemed sinners with the Holy Spirit inside of us, I can be raw with my sisters in the faith. Where there is grace, judging others fades away. Together we can grow to be more like Jesus. I am thankful that we don't need to wear masks because the cross tells us exactly who we really are; dead sinners made alive by grace. It is all God. It is all grace. 

Yes, it's very hard. And yes, it's scary. 

But it is so worth it. God has blessed us with tables and couches. Let us trust Him. And use them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett