Skip to main content

Reserves

You know what? I'm tired. Maybe you're tired too. I feel like the well that contains my thoughts and ideas is mostly dry. I climb down into this well and shout "anyone got anything?" no one replies, and I climb back out and find a snack. 

The other day I was listening to a podcast that John Eldridge was on (this is not an endorsement of John Eldridge. He sounds like a lovely human being and I believe he loves Jesus, but if you listen to him or read his books, do it with a grain of salt...well...maybe a lot of salt). Anyway, the grain of salt that he offered me was that post pandemic, people are exhausted. We simply don't have the reserves to deal with life. For example, I can meet my friends for a spur-the-moment picnic, but I mentally can't handle extensive traveling. 

Maybe that's how you feel too. The play-date at the park is fantastic, the BBQ with 82 people that you don't know makes your pulse quicken and you want to run the other way. 

That's ok. 

John's advice was to cut out everything that drains you and replace it with things that bring you joy. That sounds nice but the reality is you can't sell your kids on Kijiji and I have to go to work. So, what do we do? How do we regain our reserves? 


First of all, I think it's an ice cream promise to say that we're going to get our reserves back and everything will be normal again. It tastes good...but it melts. Maybe someday we'll feel like we can dig deep and handle anything life throws our way, maybe we won't. That's ok. You know who can handle everything and who is with us no matter what? God. God is. So don't focus some much on getting your strength back, focus on God. 

Maybe you get up and pray for strength, and then go to work or mother your children, and it feels like every day involves trying to slay a dragon. Somedays you win, sometimes the beast wins, but every day God is with you, helping you by His Spirit, and every evening He tucks you into bed, kisses your head, and tells you He loves you. 

We're weak people. Paul said that he would boast all the more in his weakness so that the power of Christ could dwell in him (2 Corinthians 12:9). When we know our own weakness we also have opportunity to see the greatness of God. When I know my inability to be patient and God helps me respond with kindness, I am amazed at Him. 

Secondly, it's okay that in this season we don't make our lives extra crazy. Maybe don't do the home reno or build that shed or go on the three week trip to Hawaii this summer. Maybe stick closer to home, enjoy the local splashpad and restaurants and trails. Maybe just enjoy your home and share it with friends. Maybe, this summer, just slow down. This year I bought a paddleboard and I use it a couple times a week. This involves no stress and it helps me clear my head. This summer I'm walking all the trails in my town and trying different restaurants that I haven't been to. I do not need to dig deep to do these things. I just do them and enjoy them. 

Finally, I just wanted to remind you that if you're tired and can't handle "extra" things in life right now, that's okay. Most of us can't. We are made out of dust, after all. And God knows all about it. You can tell Him. He's got you. In fact, as that old childhood song reminds us "He's got the whole world in His hands," so let's trust Him. 

I have no reserves, but from His fullness we can receive grace upon grace (John 1:16). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I