Skip to main content

A Word from Hosea

A couple weeks ago, while I tidied up after camping (yes, I went camping again), I wanted to listen to Scripture and the Old Testament prophets seemed to be calling my name, so Hosea it was (for no other purpose then that I could listen to it in 35 minutes and that was the perfect amount of time). For the following week, I returned to it, reading it this time, and soaking it in a bit more. 

One of the themes in Hosea is that God called His people to know His law and obey it, but the people did not know the law so they did not obey, and this brought them destruction and discipline;

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." 4:6a. "Their deeds will not allow them to return to their God. For a spirit of harlotry is within them, and they do not know the LORD." 5:4. "Israel has rejected the good." 8:3a "Though I wrote for him ten thousand precepts of My law, they are regarded as a strange thing." 8:12

But it is the end of 9:10 that struck me this morning:

And they became as detestable as that which they loved. 

The context is that God had been with Israel in the wilderness and He saw them bear fruit... but then they turned to Baal-peor and devoted themselves to shame. Baal-peor was the god of the Moabites. Israel was introduced to his worship when they camped near the territory of Moab and the Moabite women invited them to participate in Baal worship and sexual immorality. (see Numbers 25&31).  The reason the women could entice them was because there was already a place in their hearts for false worship and immorality. It was something they were prone to love; something they already loved. 


Think of it like this: if you do not want or like something, when it is offered to you it won't have influence over you. I dislike amusement park rides, so if someone invited me to go to Canada's Wonderland, it wouldn't be hard for me to say "no thank you." However, I am a fan of live performances, either for classical musical works or plays, so if I was invited to a symphony it would be much harder to say no. 

The trouble we have is that, naturally, we all prefer things that are not good for us. We all like sin. The Israelites became like the detestable things that they loved...but we all love detestable things. We love things that God does not love. 

The question I want to ask you is the same one the Spirit left with me this morning;

What do you love? 

The good news is that if you know Jesus then you have been washed, sanctified, justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God (see 1 Corinthians 6:11) and now you are being changed from one degree of glory to another (see 2 Corinthians 3:18). As we delight in the Lord, the desires of our hearts are changed to reflect what He desires (see Psalm 37). 

This morning I told God the things that I love that are not Him, that, in fact, are detestable to Him, and I asked Him to change me. He will. 

In order to love the things that God loves, I need to know what those are, so I need to be reading my Bible. I don't want to be like the Israelites in Hosea's day who did not know God's law even though He had given then ten thousand precepts. 


If I could pick two indictments against the western church in my generation it is that 1) we love so many things that are not God, and 2) we do not know our Bibles. And it is my belief that unless Christians return to loving the Lord their God and walking in His ways, we will see Him bring judgement upon us and our nations. In our current state of affluence we, the people of God, have lost sight of God, and perhaps the way for Him to win back our hearts is through pain.  

"I, even I, will tear to pieces and go away, I will carry away, and there will be none to deliver. I will go away and return to My place until they acknowledge their guilt and seek My face; in their affliction they will earnestly seek Me." Hosea 5:14b-15

The dearest idol I have known, 
whate'er that idol be, 
help me to tear it from Thy throne,
and worship only Thee.
Oh For a Closer Walk with God, by William Cowper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I