Skip to main content

When We Disagree

We had weathered the upheaval relatively well--perhaps too well--because just as it seemed the dust was settling upon our broader society, a hurricane swept down upon our little church. 

I was reading the book of Job at the time (somehow it's always Job at times like that) and as I read God's question "having you considered my servant Job?" I could hear a similar question; "have you considered my little church over here?" What would God have said of us? See how they minister to their community. See how they are obeying their principles and consciences. See how they love each other. And what would Satan reply? They only love each other because they attend the same building, but if you allow me to bring in a conflict to separate them, you'll see how quickly all the niceness falls away. 

I don't know if that conversation happened, but I do know that our little church had a split just over a year ago. We held to our principles and obeyed our consciences, but we aren't all together anymore. 

The Bible provides all that we need for life and godliness and the Holy Spirit instructs us. From Scripture and the Spirit we can discern what is obedience and what is not. Sometimes it entails wrestling and sometimes the answer quickly becomes clear. Sometimes we disagree. If we are both reading our Bibles, praying, listening to the Spirit, and still get different instructions, what are we to do? What if it's so extreme that we can't be under the same church leadership anymore?

Disagreeing does not negate our duty to live like Christians. 

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." Eph 4:31-32. 1 Corinthians 13 makes it impossible to question how important God thinks our love is. In Romans 12:3, Paul warns us "do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but think with sound judgement," and in Romans 14:4 we are warned not to judge another man's servant. Galatians 6:10 tells us to do good to everyone, especially believers. 

Are you a Christian? Then you act like one whether your feelings are hurt or you disagree. (I am not speaking about clear sin issues. The Bible also tells us how to deal with those things.) 

Can I disagree, obey my conscience, and act like a Christian towards those whom I disagree with? Yes. Can I strongly disagree but still love the other person? The person whom Jesus loved first? Yes. 

I no longer attend that little church. There are people I left behind who love the Lord, are reading their Bibles and praying and obeying their consciences. Some day we'll both stand before our Father and give an account for the choices we made and for how we treated each other. What will I have to say for myself then? That my feelings were hurt and I couldn't comprehend how anyone could have decided something that differed from my perspective so I held on to bitterness and never spoke to those believers again? In that day, will Jesus look me in the eye and say "well, this story wasn't all about you, dear one, it was all about Me. All you had to do was follow the instructions I gave you."


If, a year ago, the devil made the point that we only love each other because we worship in the same building, I sincerely hope that my actions have proved him wrong again and again. I hope that God can still point to me and to others and say "see my children? They have been tried through this strong disagreement, and their relationships look a little different now because they don't attend the same church or submit to the same elders, but they still really love each other. On the other side of this, they look more like me than they did before." 

Satan wants us to fight and quarrel and murder each other. He wants to tear down the church of Jesus Christ, his archenemy. My dear fellow Jesus-lover, let us never give him the satisfaction. 

Our stories aren't really about us, or even for us. They are about a great and awesome God who came to save sinners. You are not your own, you were bought with a price. My life now must be all about bringing Jesus glory. The church is all about bringing Jesus glory. Yes, talk about the disagreements and try to come to a place of reconciliation, because this really isn't about you at all, the honour of our God is at stake. 

"We should count it shame to help the devil dishonour the church and the name of the Lord." Charles Spurgeon 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I