Skip to main content

Surprise Sin

Over Easter weekend I had the opportunity to visit my grandparents. We caught up over soup and egg salad sandwiches and then migrated to the living room with cups of tea. Gradually the conversation turned to a couple young siblings from their church whom they've observed seldom fight. Sometimes these kids do get angry or annoyed with each other and then they fight, but that is not their normal relationship. My grandfather made this observation, "isn't that just like sin? You are living your life of obedience and then all of a sudden its like sin gets the better of you."

It was a comforting statement coming from my elderly grandfather who has been walking with the Lord for over 80 years. Even as a seasoned saint, sin still creeps up on him. But it has also made me think quite a bit.

Sometimes I am tempted to think that if I do everything right (regular devotions, get enough sleep, listen to good music, eat well, have Christian fellowship, exercise) then I won't fall into sin. And while it's true that all those things definitely aid in our fight against sin (have you ever noticed how much stupider people are when you haven't gotten enough sleep?) there is no magic formula for fighting sin. 

Now, sin is always a choice. When I am frustrated with a student or gossip about a coworker, those are my choices and I am responsible for that sin. I did that. Every single sin is my choice. And I am not passive when it comes to obedience or sanctification. God wants me to spend time with Him and there is wisdom in caring for my body through sleep and exercise. 

But, while fighting sin is my responsibility, it is impossible for me to do it in my own power according to my own strategies. 

"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."  John 15:5

Apart from Jesus I cannot overcome any sin. And I wonder if He allows those sneaky, surprise times of sin during a life of ordinary obedience so that I don't forget how much I need Him. 

I need Him. 

The very idea that I can fight and overcome sin through my own obedience is to make me god and to remove the necessity of the power of the Spirit. So, while the times of surprise temptation are not pleasant, perhaps they hold great blessing, because, like a child who has strayed to far from her father and then receives a scare and comes running back to his arms, those moments of temptation remind me that I am not strong, I am dust, and I run back to Jesus. 


One of my favourite sections on the blogs that I read is the stuff at the bottom that tells me a bit about what the author is up to or what they are enjoying, so I thought I'd add that to my blog as well. Then at the very bottom I'll share a quote that I came across or have been thinking about.

What I'm Reading 

    • With my morning Bible reading I'm working through J.C. Ryle's commentary on the Gospel of Mark. Ryle originally wrote his gospel commentaries to help families with family worship, and if you're looking for some aid in your family or private worship I highly recommend them! The sections are short, insightful, and pastoral.
    • I just finished listening to Share Your Stuff, I'll Go First by Laura Tremaine. It was okay. The audio book is well done, the questions are helpful, I think some of the stories she shares are not appropriate.  
    • Just started The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr. It's on the agenda for book club and I can share no opinion about it yet. 
    • I also just finished Middlemarch by George Eliot. If you like 19th century British literature (think Pride and Prejudice) this was a long but enjoyable read. 
    • The Gift of Home by Bre Doucette. This one is an easy read about decorating your home.

What I'm Enjoying

    • cold raspberry tea. I just put a lemon slice and a tea bag of fruity tea in a pitcher of water and plop that in the fridge.
    • Sara Grove's album Abide with Me.
    • doing the dishes and dishwasher every morning. I don't work until later in the morning and it's been nice to start the day with a clean kitchen area. 
    • London Fog from Tim Horton's from a student's mom. 
    • My paddleboard! The weather was so warm last week that my friend and I took our boards out. 

"Prayer is the main secret of success in spiritual business. It moves Him who can move heaven and earth. It brings down the promised aid of the Holy Ghost, without whom the finest sermons, the clearest teaching, and the most diligent working, are all alike in vain." J.C. Ryle


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett