Skip to main content

Commending Your Own Dunghill

In the morning I've been reading through The Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers. It's a bit like praying through convicting poetry--beautiful and searching. Pages 122-123 contain a prayer called "Self-Knowledge" which begins with these lines:

"Searcher of Hearts, it is a good day to me when thou givest me a glimpse of myself; Sin is my greatest evil, but thou art my greatest good; I have cause to loathe myself, and not to seek self-honour, for no one desires to commend his own dunghill."

No one desires to commend his own dunghill. What a phrase. And notice how this godly man connects seeking your own honour with commending your own dunghill. I've been thinking about this because  seeking my own honour exactly what I do. Would you like to know what I'm good at? Just ask me. I'll tell you. 

However, the only reason there is any honour about me or anything honourable in my life is because of the grace of God and the work of the Holy Spirit.

If you were to stand me next to my co-worker you would see two women close in age, in height, in work ethic, and two women that are agreeable and most of our co-workers really like both of us. But if you spend more time with us you will find that one of us swears like a sailor, can't remember the number of men she's slept with, does drugs, and get's drunk, while the other is a virgin, never swears, observes the Lord's Day, and is always in possession of her mind because she does not do drugs or get drunk. What is the difference? One of us has experienced the grace of God and has the Holy Spirit living within in her heart, and one of us doesn't. 

If the difference is God, then what do I have to boast of when people commend my life? God. Logically, I can only point to God as the One responsible for any good in me.

It is a good thing to share our testimonies of what God has done in our lives, but let us take care the we commend the work of the Lord and are not merely boasting of ourselves. May we seek the honour of our Lord, rather than honour our own dunghills. 

But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. Galations 6:14-16 NASV


What I'm Reading 

    • 30 Years a Watchtower Slave by William J. Schnell. This is about the Jehovah Witness organization. We're doing it for book club this month. 
    • The Second Book of the Dun Cow, Lamentations by Walter Wangerin Jr. I enjoyed the first one so much I'm working on the second 
    • I also recently skim read through Linda Chaikin's Heart of India series. When I say skim I really mean skim, but I did appreciate that her main character acts like a Christian throughout the whole narrative, not like a heathen who only prays when she's in trouble. 
    • Taking a break from praying through Psalms and also a break from J.C. Ryle's commentary on Mark. I've been reading through the New Testament letters and The Valley of Vision in the morning instead.


What I'm Enjoying 
    • Fresh fruits and veggies
    • Naps
    • Listening to Phil Wickham's new releases, particularly this one.
    • Paddle boarding 
    • The leaves on the trees. 
    • Wearing dresses in this warm weather 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I