Skip to main content

The Woman I Want To Be

 Yesterday morning I went to my outdoor aqua cycling class. This class involves stationary bikes in the outdoor public pool, an instructor, some music, me, and a bunch of grandmothers. Yes, it's me and a bunch of grandmothers. Between finishing our workout and doing the cool down, our instructor asked "if I get the waterslide going, would any of you want to go down it?" Immediately five or six women expressed great delight at the idea.

As I watched the first woman come down the slide, screaming with happiness, I thought about how that's the type of older woman I want to be. These women, ranging from their mid fifties to mid seventies, show up to class with smiling faces and hair done. They are classy, happy ladies. They crack jokes and talk about their families and discuss where to go for lunch on Friday. 

In my seventies I want to be the woman who can still do an exercise class, who has friends to get together with, who laughs, who is up to have fun.

But I don't only want to be a woman in her seventies who can get on the floor and play with my great nieces and nephews--and get back up again--I also want to be like my grandmothers with their quiet spirits and firm faith. 

If I want to be able to do Pilates in my seventies I need to do them now...and if I want to be patient, kind, peaceful, and gracious as an older woman I need to cultivate and pray for those characteristics as a younger woman. 

I think it's worthwhile to spend some time thinking about the older women (or men) in your life that you want to be like, what about them makes you want to follow in their footsteps, and how you can begin to do so now. The seeds we sow now will grow into something else later on, and now is the time to be intentional about what seeds we sow. 

In forty years I don't want my niece to come home from a coffee date with me and say to her daughter "I went out with Aunt Becca today" and her daughter reply, "I hope you didn't go alone. I know how difficult and persnickety she can be." I want the conversation to go like this: "I went out with Aunt Becca today" and my great niece reply "oh, I wish I could have come along! She's so lovely. She walks so closely with Jesus and is kind to everyone. What did you talk about?" 

I want to be a godly, kind, healthy older person, because that is the type of old person who pleases the Lord. But really, I also want to be a godly, kind, healthy young person, because that type of person also pleases the Lord. 

To be a woman who pleases the Lord. That's the woman I want to be. 

What I'm Reading 

    • Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It's our book club read this month. 
    • A Smart Woman's Guide to Hormones by Lorna Vanderhaeghe and Alvin Pettle. I'm skim reading this one because it uses quite a few technical words. So far I haven't found it terribly helpful. 
    • The Gentlewoman's Choice by George MacDonald. I've begun reading this before bed and honestly I just love George MacDonald. He had a huge influence of CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien.

What I'm Loving

    • My fish. 
    • With motivation from my friend Abby, I'm trying to nurture my curly hair so that it's actually curly and not just a frizz ball. If you have any tips or trips please share them.
    • Weekly video calls with my sisters. I have 2 sisters and we all don't live close to each other so we (try to) video call once a week. 
    • Lindywell Pilates and aqua cycling. I went on vacation last week and coming back I realized I need to get back into exercising. 


"Commonplace though his thoughts were, he would not risk encountering her scorn. He knew she was capable of it, for Hester had not yet gathered the sweet gentleness that comes of long breathing the air of the high countries." The Gentlewoman's Choice by George MacDonald, pg. 57 (high countries meaning Heaven)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I