Skip to main content

Actually, I'm engaged

If you are a Christian you are part of the greatest love story every told to mankind. This story begins with God speaking and it ends with an "amen". It's found between the covers of this book called "The Bible" and if you haven't read it I suggest you begin immediately because you will be amazed at the love recorded there.

If you are a Christian you are described as a member of God's church and if you are a member of His church you are also part of the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5). You might say that Israel in the Old Testament was God's church and He made His love story very clear to them as well...though not because they deserved it. Song of Solomon tells the deep, intimate love of Christ for His church and the adoration of the church for Jesus; it's the story of how it should always be. Sadly, in a few books later we read a story that is heart wrenching. Ezekiel 16 is titled "The Lord's Faithless Bride" because this bride, this one who God saved in His great mercy, fled from Him and gave all her love away to the nations. She became a prostitute. In fact the prophet Hosea's life is a picture of Jesus and the church as he is told to marry a prostitute to show the church's unfaithfulness and God's mercy. This tearful story comes to a climax when Jesus comes and His people don't know Him, in fact they hate Him and they nail Him to a tree.

The King, the merciful Prince, the lover of the Church; died.

And it's only because He died that His bride can clothe herself with His righteousness and stand in purity as she looks forward to their wedding day. Because Jesus died He can now stand before God the Father and say "I know she's been unfaithful. I know she's worshiped other gods, and lied, and run from all the blessings You've given her. But forgive her because I was punished in her place. Don't count her wrongs against her but see her as wearing My obedience." (Hebrews 9:14-15 Romans 8:1-2  Isaiah 53:4-6)

You see, this story is not a love story because two people fell madly in love and gave everything up for the other. This is a love story because the infinitely wise, good, holy, just, perfect, and merciful God took on the nature of man so that He could suffer and die and rise so that He could again have communion with His wicked, finite creatures. He showed the love. And it is only because of Him that we don't need to fear His return on Judgment Day. Rather, we're told the end of the tale;

"Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder crying out, 'Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and exult and give Him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure.'" Revelation 19:6-8a (ESV)

Whither you are a married or single member of the church this is the end of your story. If your love story on this earth is sad, hurtful, or none existent, you can rest assured that as part of Christ's Bride you are loved more than any mere mortal can love. You are engaged to the One Who knows you most and still decided to take away your rags of sin and clothe you with fine linen.

You are not simply a person living life here without a purpose; you are looking forward to the greatest wedding of your life. Are you excited about your Groom? Because as you get to know Him you will be.

"He who testifies to these things says, 'surely I am coming soon.' Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen." Revelation 22:20-21

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I