Skip to main content

Chocolate Crumbs

There is something delightful about surveying your crumpled home after a particularly good visit. Its almost as though your house doesn't know that everyone is gone and you're the only one left to put things back in order. You see, the place still wants to laugh. The carpet is clothed with crumbs from the chocolate cake, the couch cushions are squished together in an awkward fashion rather than cuddling nicely side by side, the toy airplane is lonely on the floor next to the piano, and the teapot is begging me to boil more water and fill her up so she can hear another good conversation. I do turn on the kettle for one more cup of tea before bed and then fill the sink with water to move the dishes from the dirty side of the counter to their drying rack.

Yes it was a particularly good visit. There was laughter, advice, serious conversation, cake, and tea. What else could you wish for?

As I scrub away I think about hospitality and that verse in Hebrews 13 about entertaining strangers because they might be angels. I bet God allows angels to be cantankerous sometimes. And I don't think hospitality always has to do with having people over. It means talking to people at church, people who go to your church or who are visiting, people who are nice or annoying. It means providing meals for sick and hurting people, it means babysitting, it means talking on the phone and giving that person your full attention, it means listening, it means praying, and sometimes it means cleaning up baby-puke on the church floor while the mom deals with the baby.

I think hospitality is something every Christian--young, old, married, single, loud, quiet, good cook, bad cook--everyone should be doing. 

Here are some bits of advice about having people over to make your service go more smoothly.

1. Invite more than one family over at a time. This way they can help entertain each other and move conversation along
2. Cakebox mixes are your friends
3. Prepare stuff (like food or even questions to ask your company to get to know them better) before they arrive
4. Don't worry. People have been visiting each other since forever. Most people are thankful someone was thoughtful enough to have them over and they won't judge you if everything isn't perfect. AND, don't worry if your house is not the same when the company leaves. Your house is an inanimate object that is here to serve Jesus and someday it will fall apart and very few (if any) people will care. It is not coming with you when you die--but the people in it will hopefully be going to the same place you are.  
5. Remember you're doing it for Jesus. There is great joy in obedience.

As I vacuum up the chocolate crumbs I smile. Everyone should vacuum up chocolate crumbs (or their equivalent) regularly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett