Skip to main content

Yet There is Music

S5. That's what the ticket said. Finding our seats in the middle of the first floor of the bright auditorium, we sit down. Music, if you could call it that, flitters through the air as one by one people dressed completely in black take their places on the stage and begin to tune, then they remember something and go back behind the curtain. This dance continues for several minutes. Musicians going back and forth, spectators finding their seats, aids handing out programs. Once everyone is more or less settled the lights go dark, a violinist in a tux comes onto the stage, everyone tunes to his string, and then the conductor arrives. The applause are silenced as he raises his baton and Brahm's Third Symphony begins. Fast, slow, happy, sad, playful, depressed, and sometimes silent, the music fills the room.




There are many different instruments. Not everyone plays violin or drums or trumpet. Not everyone plays the same notes, timing, or in the same key depending on the instrument. Yet there is music. Sometimes the music is mournful, sometimes joyous, sometimes it sounds like bickering. Yet there is music. Sometimes there is silence, yet that too is part of the music and it is impossible to ignore.

The spectators are also a mixed bag. Jeans, dresses, suits, hoodies--all are watching, listening, waiting. Some want to be there, others are sleeping. Some are thinking about what they must go home to and other are lost in the story the music is making. But many are wishing they too were part of the orchestra or singing in the choir to add to the beauty before them.


This reminds me of the church. The orchestra is the church; each member has a different gift that is used at different times depending on the need. And yet all the gifts are needed to make the music. One violin would not have the same majesty if it were not accompanied by the other instruments. The conductor represents the office bearers; directing the members of the church to use their gifts when it benefits the whole, making the music beautiful. The audience are those watching the church even though they aren't members of it. They wait and listen with expectation and a hint of longing.


What kind of music is your church making? Are you all wearing the right costume but not making any noise? Or does it sound like the notes before the symphony begins? Each playing his own notes, making a sound that the audience only listens to because they know something better is coming? Or are you playing together, watching your conductor and your music, making sure they both agree and knowing both well?  Does the audience love to listen to you and watch you, wishing they could join you in your song? And are you playing the notes on your music even when they are boring or seem to go unnoticed?


If you have never been to see a symphony I encourage you to do so. Its a fantastic experience. And when you go, think about your own church. What kind of song are you playing? And do people love to listen?

Comments

  1. I love the way you put words together.
    And they always make me think. That is the best part. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett