Skip to main content

Gifts; Fasting

There are Christian disciplines that we probably do out of a mix of routine, love for God, and because they are frequently mentioned in sermons; prayer, Bible reading, cooperate worship, participating in the sacraments, and fellowship. But there's one, at least in my life, that was seldom talked about and I only saw it modeled only once; fasting.

Recently my pastor mentioned fasting in a sermon which started me thinking. If Jesus expected His followers to fast (Matthew 6:16) and Paul expected married couples to fast (1 Corinthians 7:5KJV) then shouldn't Christians do it? And since I'm a follower of Jesus, shouldn't I?

I didn't have a clue how to go about it...so I did some research. People typically fast in order to confess sin (either for themselves, the church, or the nation), because they are in mourning, or to give God undivided devotion/attention while they seek His will on a certain issue. Basically, the concept of fasting is to deprive yourself of food for a period of time and use the time you save (instead of making and eating food) to pray and seek God.

I set a day aside. And I didn't eat.

And it was hard.

But it was amazing.

As I sacrificed something I love (food) for my God I was blessed to know Him in a deeper way than I had before. It was a very tangible from of worship and service to my King and it cleared my heart and mind to seek God in a deep way. Scriptural truths were clearer and I felt the Holy Spirit's presence more. And it taught me how much I depend on God for everything.

Everything.

Though it has not once been easy, every time I fast I am thankful to have done it. I come away loving God more and having my life centered more on Him. Which is the whole point of life, isn't it?



Please do not be afraid to fast. The week before you fast I recommend preparing yourself by praying about it. If you don't think you can fast an entire day start with skipping 2 meals (preferably breakfast and lunch) and work your way up. I am in no way an expert on the subject of fasting and you would like more information you can find some to start here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

Being Single is Kind of Like Not Sleeping Through the Night

For as long as you can remember, you have been told that normal people sleep through the night. You've been trained to sleep through the night. The vast majority of your friends sleep through the night. Your entire family sleeps through the night. Everyone at church sleeps through the night. But you don't.  At first, a number of years ago, you were really frustrated about not sleeping through the night, and the frustration was compounded by people consistently asking questions as to your ability to sleep. Have you tried medication? Have you turned all your screens off before bed? Do you exercise? Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon? The fact of the matter is, you do all the things you're supposed to do, but you still wake up in the middle of the night, for apparently no reason.  You're confused and frustrated, so you pray. The next night, when it happens again, you pray. Soon, waking up in the night has changed from a time of frustration to a time of worship and gett

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I