Skip to main content

Encouragement from Psalm 11

I've been using the book, "Psalms in 30 Days," during my morning worship. Yesterday I read Psalm 11. It begins with the Psalmist declaring "I have taken refuge in the LORD" and then he asks, "how can you say to me, 'escape to the mountains like a bird! For look; the wicked string bows...When the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?'" (verse 1-3 CBS). The wicked are taunting him, trying to get him to focus on all the bad stuff and freak out. 

He replies that he's taken refuge in the LORD. "Why are you encouraging me to fear and flee? Why are you bringing me to despair by pointing out that the foundations are destroyed and then asking what I am going to do about it?" 

The LORD is in His holy temple. The LORD-His throne is in Heaven. His eyes watch. His gaze examines everyone. The LORD examines the righteous, but he hates the wicked and those who love violence...for the LORD is righteous; He loves righteous deeds. The upright will see His face. (verse 4-7 CBS)

The world is a sea of wickedness. What can the righteous do? What can the people of God do? 

Remember. The LORD is in His holy temple. He's got this. He hates wickedness and He will destroy wickedness and wicked people. But you know what He loves? Righteousness, and righteous deeds. Those who live before Him and obey Him, covered in the righteousness of Jesus, they're going to see His face. Isn't that crazy? 

This reality gives me hope and removes fear. God has got this. He wants me to live righteously and do righteous deeds for His glory; He'll take care of the rest. It puts the cares and concerns of this world into their proper places. It helps me carry on, being obedient in my everyday life and leave the rest with God. He knows. He's got this. He loves me. I can trust Him. It is well with my soul. 

What I'm Reading Lately 

    • Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. This was our book club book in May. It's historic fiction about something I had no knowledge of. It was awful and crazy, parts were really well written and parts were...well...less well written. If you're looking for an interesting and heart wrenching summer read, I recommend this one. 
    • The Staff and the Sword series by Patrick W. Carr. I'm on book three and I'd like someone else to read this series so that we can discuss it. Again, a great summer read. 
    • A whole pile of ancient world literature for my school course (think Gilgamesh and The Odyssey), 

What I'm Enjoying Lately 

    • my blender. I use it almost every day for smoothies or making butter or creaming tomato sauce. 
    • putting cooked lentils in tomato sauce. If you blend them in, you can't taste them and they add protein and fiber. 
    • morning worship on the patio 
    • flavoured, cold green tea
    • my icemaker, and making fun drinks 
    • watching my nieces and nephews catching tadpoles 
    • sourdough focaccia bread

O help me to set an upright example that will ever rebuke vice, allure to goodness, and evidence that lovely are the ways of Christ. The Valley of Vision pg 227

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Actually, I'm engaged

If you are a Christian you are part of the greatest love story every told to mankind. This story begins with God speaking and it ends with an "amen". It's found between the covers of this book called "The Bible" and if you haven't read it I suggest you begin immediately because you will be amazed at the love recorded there. If you are a Christian you are described as a member of God's church and if you are a member of His church you are also part of the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5). You might say that Israel in the Old Testament was God's church and He made His love story very clear to them as well...though not because they deserved it. Song of Solomon tells the deep, intimate love of Christ for His church and the adoration of the church for Jesus; it's the story of how it should always be . Sadly, in a few books later we read a story that is heart wrenching. Ezekiel 16 is titled "The Lord's Faithless Bride" because this bride, t...

a different perspective

Henry was walking quickly down the sidewalk one sunny summer afternoon. He had finished his chores and so his mother had let him go out to the park to play baseball with his friends before Dad came home for supper. Henry was quite excited about this adventure but he stopped suddenly when he passed the white church and saw his pastor sitting on the steps with a downcast expression on his normally joyous face.      "Hi Pastor Clay," Henry greeted him as he came to a complete stop just on the other side of the white fence.      "Hello Henry," Pastor Clay's answer was sad.      "How are you today?" Henry asked again, hoping all was well so that he could go play.      "Oh alright," Pastor Clay answered.     With all his might Henry wanted to nod and smile and be on his way...but he couldn't. Instead, he lifted the gate's latch and walked over to the step. Once there, he seated himself beside the pa...

The lost art of JOY

In my parents' household there is almost always someone smiling, laughing, or doing something amusing. This isn't to say that we don't have serious talks and ponder deep mysteries, but in general there is a lightness about their home that is both welcoming and relaxing. This, however, is not a popular trend in today's culture.   The gift of joy, being able to laugh, and finding pleasure in normal every day things seems to have been drowned in the bottomless pit of  work, raising a family, school, money, and stress. Life is busy and I think everyone can agree with that, however, I don't believe the business is the problem. The issue really is selfishness. Sometimes it takes effort, a lot of effort, to step outside of your stressed out, busy mindset and listen to what your child is saying and laugh . Yes, that's right, it is OK to laugh at the silly things that happen.   I believe my father is becoming a master at this art of laughter.  When the...