Skip to main content

Gifts; Women

The women in my life are amazing and I thank the Lord for them(almost) daily .

There's the woman who thinks hard and deep, then asks me things like "do you think we'll know each other in heaven?" The woman who is going through deep waters and yet her heart is calm because she's taking the Lord at His Word, and believes He has only the best planned for His people. The woman who is a good secret-keeper. The woman how has an opinion about everything. The woman who hurts for others and the woman who takes charge. The woman who never wants to offend anyone. The woman who's life cry is "speak Lord, for your servant hears" and then opens her Bible expectantly. The woman struggling mentally, the woman who is hurt deeply, and the woman with bags under her eyes as her children run. There are women who look like they've got it all together and women who openly ask for prayer. Some are raw and open, others struggle to share their hearts.

Image result for young and old women together

All these different women are in my life and I praise God for them because they each bring important things to the table. The easily discouraged woman reminds me to pray for her and others, and the woman who meets with God expectantly urges me to copy her example.

They also bring different things to the table in terms of their abilities and gifts. One is artistic, the other good at math. One connects the theological dots quickly, another wants to practically apply the core truths to her life. One writes cards and emails and texts of encouragement, another is always welcoming people into her home, another prays for you. In our differences we make up for what is lacking in each other, and through our differences we bless those around us. 

Some women feel they don't have anything to contribute, which breaks my heart because it is such a lie. The entire Bible was written to women as well as men. We are all part of the family of God and each part of this family is needed. 

Woman, we need you. Your church needs you. God has put you where you are for a reason. 

It is entirely probably that you have encouraged and blessed others in ways that you will never know.  I am so, SO thankful for the women who are in my life, with all the different spices they bring by simply being who they are. And I am glad that we get to run to heaven together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's Supposed to Be Hard

We want a whole, happy, calm life. We want to be healthy. In "crunchie" circles, people use essential oils, grow their own produce, and stop using plastics. In Christian circles, there is an idea, an ideology, gaining ground that presupposes a holistic, restful life is possible if one follows the spiritual disciplines of the desert fathers and mothers. Mysticism. Prayer, scripture, silence, solitude, sabbath, fasting, rest, etc. (If you're looking for a couple interesting reads on this topic you could see these books by Jefferson Bethke and John Mark Comer. ) I want a holistic, happy, balanced life. My kitchen contains wooden cutting boards and loose leaf tea. I begin all my mornings with homemade kombucha, prayer, quiet, and scripture. I do Pilates throughout the week and hold the Lord's Day as holy every Sunday.  And I'm tired. And I'm weary.  And I wonder if that's just how it is in this sin-soaked world as we run to Heaven.  After all, the Spirit tell

4 Ways to Help Single People

It is very likely that not all single people will completely agree with the list I'm about to share with you, because no two people are alike, but I've heard similar things from single people that I follow online and think it will be helpful to share these. If nothing else, let this post lead you to have conversations with the single people in your life and find out what would  be helpful to them.  1. Hug Them I'll admit, I'm not much of a hugger, but a few months ago another woman I follow recommended to her audience that they begin hugging their single friends and I've been thinking about it since. Now (due to a change in my life) I'm seeing certain friends more often than I had been, and I am also receiving more hugs; this is good for me . In particular, it is good for me that one of my guy friends often gives me a hug when I see him. I don't mean that in a sensual sense, I mean it in a brotherly sense. The quick hug he offers tells me that I am seen, I

Surprise Sin

Over Easter weekend I had the opportunity to visit my grandparents. We caught up over soup and egg salad sandwiches and then migrated to the living room with cups of tea. Gradually the conversation turned to a couple young siblings from their church whom they've observed seldom fight. Sometimes these kids do get angry or annoyed with each other and then they fight, but that is not their normal relationship. My grandfather made this observation, "isn't that just like sin? You are living your life of obedience and then all of a sudden its like sin gets the better of you." It was a comforting statement coming from my elderly grandfather who has been walking with the Lord for over 80 years. Even as a seasoned saint, sin still creeps up on him. But it has also made me think quite a bit. Sometimes I am tempted to think that if I do everything right (regular devotions, get enough sleep, listen to good music, eat well, have Christian fellowship, exercise) then I won't fal